Look What Your Donations Allowed Us to Accomplish in 2017:
- January 28, 2017 Winter Coding Camp
We hosted a one day coding camp for 7 local girls representing schools in Lexington and Richland counties. The girls learned basic HTML & CSS programming and built a 1-page website. 2 girls who graduated from our previous camps also volunteered to attend as mentors and coding assistants. Donations covered the following expenses: meeting room rental, lunch from Papa John's, snacks, custom USB flash drives pre-loaded with web development software to allow campers to take their websites home and continue coding, binders and printed tutorials for the girls to take home, name badges for attendees, assist with volunteer travel expenses, maintenance and software updates to the laptops used by students during camp.
- February 23, 2017 Webgyrlz Code particiapted in Digital Learning Day at Pontiac Elementary in RIchland School District 2. Workshops were developed for students in grades K-5 to get hands on experience with learning about game development and animation and how to code with Scratch programming. Donations allowed posters to be printed, stickers to be purchased to give to the students, and a custom activity to be programmed in Scratch to allow an interactive experience for students.
- March - May 2017 presented at various Career Days at local elementary schools encouraging students to look into careers in STEM fields. Donations covered the expense for custom pencils and "superpower" stickers to be purchased as giveaways.
- May 20, 2017 Scratch Day Workshop held at Richland Public Library where we conducted an open, free workshop introducing children to Scratch programming. Donations paid for maintenance on 20 laptops to have them available for use by those participating in the workshop.
- August 7-10, 2017 Webgyrlz Code first Scratch Coding Camp
Donations allowed us to offer a discounted camp fee to 15 students (13 girls 2 boys). They also assisted with the following expenses: meeting room rental, snacks, name badges for attendees, assist with volunteer travel expenses, maintenance and software updates to the laptops used by students during camp.
- August 7-10, 2017 partnered with DIG Camp at USC Darla Moore School of Business to hold a workshop on Scratch programming. Donations paid for the development of a custom activity programmed in Scratch to allow an interactive experience for students related to the camp theme of aviation.
- September 29, 2017 Career Day Blythewood Middle School, in Richland School District 2, spoke to about 100 students to encourage them to look into careers in STEM fields. Donations were used to purchase for giveaways for students
- October 26, 2017 Community Day for 2nd graders at Rice Creek Elementary in Richland School District 2. Through an interactive game about 100 students were shown how an algorithm works and encouraged to learn nore about careers in STEM fields. Donations were used to purchase "superpower" stickers to give to all students and to have a custom activity developed with Scratch programming.
- December 1, 2017 Computer Science Kickoff at Rice Creek Elementary in Richland School District 2. Donations allowed for giveaways to students and for a custom activity to be developed in Scratch to allow an interactive experience for students in Child Development and Kindergarten.
We want to take this time to thank all of our donors, community partners, parents, and community members who see our vision of bringing computer science to girls in the Midlands of South Carolina, and beyond. As our program continues to grow and evlove we look forward to your continued support.